This recipe is the first one Mom and I worked on. We were in charge of snacks for church, but we had a visiting pastor whose wife had Celiac’s Disease and could not eat gluten. We looked at a lot of recipes, and it just seemed like so many of them were long and complicated. We found this recipe on the site “Detoxinista,” and you can find the original recipe here. We adapted it the way we liked it. I will post the warning that these are dangerous cookies. We literally ate half the batch “taste testing,” though one cookie was really all we’d have needed. The original recipe suggested these cookies were best at room temperature. They were so right. Let them cool before you eat them.
2 cups almond flour
1/4 cup butter
3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup Ghirardelli 60% dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, salt, and baking soda, then add butter, maple syrup and vanilla. Mix well.
3. Fold in chocolate chips. Roll a rounded tablespoon of batter into a ball and place on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove cookies and flatten with a fork until cracks appear on the edges. Return to over and back an additional 3 minutes.
5. Cool on tray two minutes then completely on a rack.
Makes 18 cookies.